Combining Extensive Expertise in Miniaturized, Precision Optical Systems and Technologies with End-to-End Production
Case Study: Magic Leap
Bringing a New Vision to Electronics Applications
From smartphones to drones, demand for smaller and better cameras embedded within miniaturized devices continues to grow. Minimally invasive medical cameras can be the size of a grain of salt, while defense agencies strive to develop tiny but sophisticated cameras for insect-sized drones. Electronics innovators are creating embedded vision systems, integrating camera function and computing power into a single component. These embedded vision systems require advanced camera manufacturing capabilities, and their benefits create potential for the new disruptive technology:
- Extremely small form factor
- Low cost
- Low energy consumption
- Cost effective
- Customized application
Jabil’s industry-leading camera manufacturing solutions can provide customers with new ways to innovate products for consumer use. However, given Jabil’s knowledge and expertise as a manufacturing solutions provider, embedded cameras are also used to optimize manufacturing processes, leading the way to more efficient industrial automation and autonomy. Jabil can give customers expert advice to optimize their manufacturing capabilities or can use Jabil’s future-forward manufacturing solutions as a service.
A Proactive Solutions Partner
Jabil offers end-to-end, comprehensive design and engineering capabilities with operations at over 90 sites in 23 countries. As a single point of accountability, we increase customer value while reducing risk by offering flexible solutions:
- Innovate and develop designs optimized for performance and manufacturability
- Rapidly prototype for accelerated product introductions
- Manufacture the highest-quality products and components using the latest automation and process technologies
- Stringently validate and test with proprietary, integrated methodologies
- Ensure that customers build in the right location, source the right materials, and reach target markets with intelligent, digital supply-chain solutions
Jabil’s Camera Manufacturing Solutions
Jabil has a proven track record in the development, design and industrialization of complex cameras and other optical components. Our camera manufacturing solutions are highly sought out for our technological expertise:
- Extreme miniaturization
- Light management and efficiency
- Lightweight systems
- Best and stable optical performance
- Low power design
- Reliable and durable technology
- Design for high volume manufacturing
The manufacturing process for these micro-sized precision instruments demands special techniques to ensure near-perfect optics alignment. Jabil uses a technique called active alignment to position lenses precisely based on actual camera output. When active alignment is built into the automation process, these devices can be built more cost-effectively, at scale, with the highest accuracy.
Jabil Active Alignment in Camera Manufacturing
To dynamically tune camera optics, Jabil’s active alignment systems adjust lens/sensor positioning based on actual camera performance. Optical characteristics are measured during the assembly process based on the component’s output signal and aligns the components accordingly.
Active alignment based on output signals provides boosted results in efficiency:
- Optimally-aligned components
- The best possible focus across the entire image with optimal tip-tilt angle and centration
- Best positioning of LEDs used for image illumination
The principle is the same for optimizing other components, mechanical and electronic. The manufacturing process makes final adjustments based on a device’s actual, real-time performance rather than on theoretical targets. With Jabil’s active alignment expertise and guidance, customers can get peace of mind knowing that their cameras are assembled with precision every time.
Jabil Pixid Systems
Jabil Pixid systems position lenses in six axes in three-dimensional space to achieve optimal alignment, relative to the image sensor, to obtain the highest optical performance. By using active alignment, the resulting optical modules will have the most uniform clarity available in today's market of extremely compact cameras and projectors.
- Active Alignment: Cost effective active alignment for uniform clarity of optical modules in up to 6 degrees of freedom
- Adaptive Intelligence: Dynamic process control software that uses real time feedback to improve yield
- Advanced Optical Tests: Sophisticated test algorithms for comprehensive functional characterization of optics
- Optical Module Assembly: Advanced production systems for the assembly and test of camera and projection modules
- High Volume Systems: Efficient cycle times result in ability to provide high volume production levels
- Lean Manufacturing: Highly efficient process and design of systems reduce lead times for customers
With Jabil’s advanced camera manufacturing capabilities, customers are introduced to new levels of innovation and freedom of design. Jabil’s world-class experts work collaboratively with customers in a partnership culture continually driving to rapid customer success. By partnering with Jabil, customers can rest easy with the assurance that their best interests are being protected by an industry leader and their product will be of the highest quality possible.