Optimizing Performance Using Device Feedback During Assembly
Camera capability has become an expected feature in a wide range of consumer electronics. Besides taking photographs for personal use, the need for continued improvement in camera quality is easily seen in the medical field and the emerging industry of autonomous automobiles. In certain applications, high quality cameras help ensure the health and safety of consumers. To increase rapid manufacturing of high-quality optical equipment, the use of active alignment camera modules brings new levels of precision to the manufacturing process.
Taking a clear, undistorted photo requires a camera component with a carefully assembled lens and image sensor. Ideally, the lens and sensor align perfectly, so the focus of the optic path centers on the sensor surface. These alignments take place during manufacturing and assembly, where production equipment is set up to meet design specifications. However, in practice, high-volume manufacturing processes aren’t perfect. The occasional result being an out-of-spec component. These imperfect components become expensive scrap or, worse, can lead to an unhappy customer if the component is allowed to come to market. To reduce costs and increase customer satisfaction, Jabil applies various dynamic tuning techniques in assembly processes with active alignment camera modules, precisely adjusting optical positioning and signal levels.
A Proactive Solutions Partner
Jabil offers end-to-end, comprehensive design and engineering capabilities with operations at over 90 sites in 23 countries. As a single point of accountability, we increase customer value while reducing risk by offering flexible solutions:
- Innovate and develop designs optimized for performance and manufacturability
- Rapidly prototype for accelerated product introductions
- Manufacture the highest-quality products and components using the latest automation and process technologies
- Stringently validate and test with proprietary, integrated methodologies
- Ensure that customers build in the right location, source the right materials, and reach target markets with intelligent, digital supply-chain solutions
Aligning Quality and Performance
To dynamically tune camera optics, Jabil’s active alignment camera modules adjust lens/sensor positioning based on actual camera performance. Optical characteristics are measured during the assembly process based on the component’s output signal and aligns the components accordingly. Active alignment based on output signals provides boosted results in efficiency:
- Optimally-aligned components
- The best possible focus across the entire image with optimal tip-tilt angle and centration
- Best positioning of LEDs used for image illumination
The principle is the same for optimizing other components, mechanical and electronic. The manufacturing process makes final adjustments based on a device’s actual, real-time performance rather than on theoretical targets. With Jabil’s active alignment expertise and guidance, customers can get peace of mind knowing that their lenses are assembled with precision every time.
Jabil Pixid Systems
Within the world of active alignment camera modules, Jabil’s mission is to promote the widespread use of active alignment technologies that surpass traditional alignment methods in performance, quality, and cost. Through an innovative product line, fast turnaround time, and dedicated customer support, Jabil enables customers to bring new cutting-edge technology products to market with speed and confidence.
Jabil Pixid systems have been used to actively align and assemble some of the smallest, most precisely assembled cameras in the world. Assembly of high precision camera and projector modules is both a science and an art, and by applying our most sophisticated algorithms while simultaneously implementing creative approaches to design and function, Jabil has developed a system that embodies the best of both worlds.
Jabil Pixid system's position lenses in six axes in three-dimensional space to achieve optimal alignment, relative to the image sensor, to obtain the highest optical performance. By using active alignment, the resulting optical modules will have the most uniform clarity available in today's market of extremely compact cameras and projectors.
- Active Alignment: Cost effective active alignment for uniform clarity of optical modules in up to 6 degrees of freedom
- Adaptive Intelligence: Dynamic process control software that uses real time feedback to improve yield
- Advanced Optical Tests: Sophisticated test algorithms for comprehensive functional characterization of optics
- Optical Module Assembly: Advanced production systems for the assembly and test of camera and projection modules
- High Volume Systems: Efficient cycle times result in ability to provide high volume production levels
- Lean Manufacturing: Highly efficient process and design of systems reduce lead times for customers
With Jabil’s advanced active alignment camera module capabilities, customers are introduced to new levels of innovation and freedom of design. Jabil’s world-class experts work collaboratively with customers in a partnership culture continually driving to rapid customer success. By partnering with Jabil, customers can rest easy with the assurance that their best interests are being protected by an industry leader and their product will be of the highest quality possible.