Power Electronic Design
Creating Innovative Solutions to Power the World’s Leading Products
No matter the device, no matter the level of sophistication, all electronic devices need power. Not only that, but the power needed must be managed in a way that provides the optimal setting for the devices or electronic systems to operate as intended. The design and manufacture of these parts and components that manage the proper distribution and conversion of energy encapsulates the field of power electronics design. Power electronics involve the use of semiconductors to control and convert electrical power. Power electronics covers a wide range from energy harvesting at micro-watts and fractions of volts to large industrial machines at mega-watts and thousands of volts. Jabil’s power electronics design capabilities give businesses a chance to upgrade or optimize their current capabilities or produce new product innovations that can effectively compete in the most competitive markets.
Power electronics design can be found directly impacting a wide range of industries:
- Information and communications technology
- Aerospace and defense
- Consumer electronics
At the heart of power electronics design is the conversion of electricity between alternating current and direct current. Alternating current can be found in the electric grid, driving motors or generated from a wind turbine. Direct current is associated with batteries, solar panels or low voltage electronics. Often the conversion of electricity has been the primary purpose of a product, however, power electronics can also be found as a subsystem within a device; conditioning the power to drive LED lighting or varying the speed of a motor within an appliance.
The market for power electronics has grown rapidly in recent years due to several trends. Technology breakthroughs in lithium batteries, high-power transistors, digital signal processors, and permanent magnet motors have dramatically increased power capability and features, reduced size and cost, and made new applications feasible.
Environmental concerns and grid capacity issues are driving the demand for renewable and distributed energy sources. Rapid urbanization is driving the adoption of electric vehicles and high-speed rail while increasing energy demand. The shifting of global economic power and energy proliferation is increasing reliability expectations and the growth of microgrids. With Jabil’s expertise in power electronics design and sustainability best practices, customers can be guaranteed that the solutions provided can effectively meet the demands of high quality, performance, and environmental responsibility.
A Proactive Solutions Partner
Jabil offers end-to-end, comprehensive design and engineering capabilities with operations at over 90 sites in 23 countries. As a single point of accountability, we increase customer value while reducing risk by offering flexible solutions:
- Innovate and develop designs optimized for performance and manufacturability
- Rapidly prototype for accelerated product introductions
- Manufacture the highest-quality products and components using the latest automation and process technologies
- Stringently validate and test with proprietary, integrated methodologies
- Ensure that customers build in the right location, source the right materials, and reach target markets with intelligent, digital supply-chain solutions
Jabil’s Power Electronics Design Solutions
Jabil's power electronics design team consists of a highly experienced, focused engineers specializing in a wide range of product capabilities:
- power conversion
- thermal management
- photovoltaic solar inverters
- battery management
- motor control
Jabil’s power electronics design capabilities allow for power optimization all along the production life cycle. Whether designing for new and future markets or innovating in established industries, Jabil provides power electronics solutions add value while reducing risk:
- Fast, digital signal processor controls for precise control of loads, supplies, and motion.
- Software and integrated circuits to eliminate belts, gears, hoses, pumps, and valves typically used to distribute power. We can also often resize or eliminate large coils and transformers.
- Implementation of new, more efficient battery and motor technologies.
- Retrofitting products for greater efficiency such as with variable speed HVAC, direct-drive washers, and backup generators.
- Replacing mechanical/hydraulic functions with electric motors such as with vehicle electrification.
- Enabling new technologies and components such as solar panels, LED light bulbs, smaller laptop power supplies, and e-bikes.
The power electronics design group uses its deep technical capabilities to complement Jabil’s design and engineering expertise across many highly competitive and fast-moving industries. With a focus on getting products to market, this combination makes for the ideal partnership with our customers.
With Jabil’s advanced power electronics design capabilities, customers are introduced to new levels of innovation and freedom of design. Jabil’s world-class designers, engineers, and manufacturing specialists work collaboratively with customers in a partnership culture continually driving to rapid customer success. By partnering with Jabil, customers can rest easy with the assurance that their best interests are being protected by an industry leader and their product will be of the highest quality possible.
Energy & Industrial
With a rich portfolio of capabilities, we partner with our customers to innovate products, disrupt industries, and capitalize on new market trends.
Jabil has over 10 years of experience designing, manufacturing, and distributing inverters and balance-of-solution (BoS) components for solar OEMs.
Over 150 million Jabil-manufactured smart meters constitute 30% of worldwide market share. Over 50% of meters worldwide contain Jabil-manufactured electronics.