Integrating Strategic and Operational Factors to Optimize Product Success
The development of a single product comes from the creation and evaluation of several initial concepts and preliminary research and analysis. Product ideas do not simply go straight to design and manufacture. Many smart businesses will put some initial time and effort into evaluating and optimizing product concepts, but successful businesses will treat the development phase of product creation as seriously as the rest of the manufacturing process. Conceptual engineering offers businesses the chance to better understand their desire to meet consumer needs and select the best concept to meet that need with success.
Conceptual engineering optimizes overall product design because it helps levels of management, design, and manufacturing better understand the necessity and purpose of a product and its intended design and function. Product design can be broken down into several phases:
- Idea generation – research and analysis needed to come up with product concepts that meet the needs of a target audience
- Idea screening – ideas are analyzed to and evaluated to find concepts that will be further developed
- Concept development – a more detailed concept is developed and tested for manufacturing feasibility and market readiness
- Product development – concepts are turned into prototypes and tested for final design specifications
- Commercialization – product is assembled and introduced to market
Technology innovators and market disruptors know when opportunities for new products exist, but conceptual engineering helps to find better answers to solve the question, “What do consumers want and need?” Conceptual engineering gives businesses a systematic way to identify needs, understand the challenges, brainstorm alternatives, factor constraints and organize approaches, analyze data, and come up with practical answers to aid in the development of successful products.
The key to the best conceptual engineering is making a commitment to significant innovation early in the product development process. As one of the world’s leading design, engineering, and manufacturing firms, Jabil recognizes the importance of this commitment with all its customers and partners. And from conceptual engineering and designing for manufacturability to efficient supply chain management, Jabil has brought this expertise to virtually every market.
A Proactive Solutions Partner
Jabil offers end-to-end, comprehensive design and engineering capabilities with operations at over 90 sites in 23 countries. As a single point of accountability, we increase customer value while reducing risk by offering flexible solutions:
- Innovate and develop designs optimized for performance and manufacturability
- Rapidly prototype for accelerated product introductions
- Manufacture the highest-quality products and components using the latest automation and process technologies
- Stringently validate and test with proprietary, integrated methodologies
- Ensure that customers build in the right location, source the right materials, and reach target markets with intelligent, digital supply-chain solutions
By partnering with Jabil, customers have access to industry leading advanced technologies along with the capabilities and global partnerships that help deliver quality products to market. More importantly, our company culture is founded on the innovation and collaboration. Jabil culture is designed to bring out the best in customer ideas. Whether businesses want to optimize or disrupt their target markets and industries, working with Jabil gives businesses the edge to gain market leadership and increased consumer loyalty.
Jabil’s Conceptual Engineering Solutions
By partnering with Jabil, customers can best determine what features a product should have and what metrics should be used to measure their quality or performance based on analysis of customer needs and preferences. Jabil’s conceptual engineering services offer customers ways to optimize product development:
- Faster time-to-market
- Lower production cost
- Increase quality and value to products
- Gain market advantage over competitors
With Jabil’s manufacturing expertise and experience helping build the world’s top products, our conceptual engineers look at materials and parts requirements, needed technologies, production costs, market trends, and the user experience. This expansive amount of information helps to ultimately determine what a product does and does not need to be successful. Our engineering teams also look at what ideas and concepts are possible within customer restraints. Our conceptual engineering services cover a wide range of product possibilities:
- Content strategy
- Systems architecture
- Test design
- Design of experiments
- Initial cost analysis
- Materials identification
- Initial design for manufacturing/design for assembly impact
With Jabil’s conceptual engineering capabilities, customers are introduced to new levels of innovation and freedom of design. Most importantly, partnering with Jabil offers more than just the advanced technology to produce high quality, in-demand products. Our collaborative culture and expertise provides unique end-to-end solutions that elevate customer performance. Our culture of integrity, ingenuity, and inspiration make us a trusted manufacturing solutions provider for the world’s top products. By partnering with Jabil, customers can rest easy with the assurance that their best interests are being protected by an industry leader and their product will be of the highest quality possible.