Wifi ™ and Zigbee ™
Technologies at the Heart of Device Communication and the Internet of Things
Wireless is worldwide. The freedom and convenience that wireless communication provides give businesses the perfect market motivation to find new ways to use and optimize wireless devices. Connected devices, smart home technology, and wearable technology are only a small sampling of how wireless communication technologies are optimizing the way we live, work, and play. WiFi ™ and Zigbee ™ technologies are at the heart of device communication and the Internet of Things (IoT) – and Jabil’s wireless technology solutions provide customers the capabilities to add creative and innovative products to a highly competitive market.
Understanding WiFi ™
WiFi ™ is a wireless communication protocol based on the IEEE 802.11 standard for wireless local area networks (WLANs). WiFi ™ most commonly operates on the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies. WiFi ™ technology has the following attributes:
• Provides internet access within a specified range.
• Star network (central hub where all nodes or devices connect)
• High data rate transfer speeds
Understanding Zigbee ™
Zigbee ™ is a wireless communication protocol based on the IEEE 802.15.4 standard for wireless personal area networks (WPANs) that operate on the same 2.4 GHz frequency, but their applications and benefits are quite different:
• Carries small amounts of data over short distances
• Low energy consumption
• Mesh network (nodes connect with each other without a central hub)
WiFi ™ and Zigbee ™ devices typically use antennas, power sources, and other elements mounted in a wide variety of materials such as glass, textiles, plastics, and ceramics. They need to interface with multiple protocols, security access points, and network data. All these factors add up to the need for exacting yet innovative design and precision manufacturing using advanced automation techniques.
A Proactive Solutions Partner
Jabil offers end-to-end, comprehensive design and engineering capabilities with operations at over 90 sites in 23 countries. As a single point of accountability, we increase customer value while reducing risk by offering flexible solutions:
• Innovate and develop designs optimized for performance and manufacturability
• Rapidly prototype for accelerated product introductions
• Manufacture the highest-quality products and components using the latest automation and process technologies
• Stringently validate and test with proprietary, integrated methodologies
• Ensure that customers build in the right location, source the right materials, and reach target markets with intelligent, digital supply-chain solutions
Jabil’s IoT Advantage
Jabil is a global design, supply chain and manufacturing services company with a focus on product design, development, industrialization and integration of IoT solutions for the world’s biggest brands. Our customer services cover every aspect of the IoT value chain, including devices, smartphones, network infrastructure, and the cloud. Working with Jabil helps to ensure faster time-to-market to effectively engage in the competitive markets of IoT technology:
• Expertise and Partnerships – With 27,000 suppliers and over 500 of the world’s largest brands as customers, Jabil has the longstanding economic relationships to empower your new product or solution.
• Massive Manufacturing Scale – With more than 43 million square feet of manufacturing capacity, and over 100 facilities in 29 countries, Jabil is uniquely positioned to build locally, regionally and globally.
• Supply Chain Expertise – Our single instance of SAP globally, lowest landed cost calculation and risk scores ensure the right manufacturing and hardware solutions.
• Experienced Design and Engineering – Jabil boasts over 1,600 hardware design engineers and 200 UI/UX, industrial and mechanical designer/discovery consultants globally to ensure the success of each project.
Jabil’s WiFi ™ and Zigbee ™ Capabilities
As a hardware designer, builder and integrator, Jabil conducts customized, end-to-end consulting, integration and on-going maintenance from discovery and architecture to building, testing and deployment of WiFi ™ and Zigbee ™ solutions. Jabil brings together various technologies, materials and manufacturing techniques from our divergent experience and product base. We provide a strong springboard for our customers to create and manufacture their desired products with expertise and efficiency.
Jabil has advanced expertise in designing, developing, and manufacturing WiFi ™ - and Zigbee ™- enabled devices for applications such as:
• Networking equipment
• Utility infrastructure
• Connected appliances
• Industrial machine-to-machine (M2M) communications
• Smart energy
When designing these devices, Jabil’s expert design engineers take the following into consideration:
• Types of protocol the device will interface with
• Data rates
• Number of nodes in the network
• Ability to configure the device for scalable or flexible deployment
• Ease of deployment
With Jabil’s advanced WiFi ™ and Zigbee ™ capabilities, customers are introduced to new levels of innovation and freedom of design. Jabil’s world-class experts work collaboratively with customers in a partnership culture continually driving to rapid customer success. By partnering with Jabil, customers can rest easy with the assurance that their best interests are being protected by an industry leader and their product will be of the highest quality possible.
Jabil’s Wifi ™ and Zigbee ™ expertise is located throughout the world.
Jabil designs and manufactures appliance components that are part of over 40% of today’s appliances with more than 100 million assemblies shipped since 2005.
Comprehensive, worldwide Jabil design, manufacturing, and supply chain services enable companies to bring innovative products to market faster.