Accelerating Innovation. Simplifying Complexity.
Test & Measurement (T&M) Industry
The evolution of new technologies and unprecedented consolidation is driving a period of rapid change within the T&M industry. In response, many companies are shifting their focus from simply providing “hardware centric products” to providing holistic “software centric solutions”. Products are also becoming more modular in nature. In total, the goals are to meet or exceed end market requirements for:
- Cost efficiencies
- Improved configurability
Working with External Contract Design Partners
The T&M industry is increasingly leveraging external contract design partners to:
- Improve their time to market
- Focus their R&D resources and budget on their core – i.e. core hardware technologies and software
The T&M industry provides solutions to various end markets. Primary end markets and their corresponding market drivers are depicted in the figure below. The need to serve myriads of end markets requires them to carry high number of Stock Keeping Units (SKUs) which introduces enormous amount of end-to-end supply chain complexity.
Jabil has estimated the T&M market to be ~$15 billion, excluding semiconductor automated test equipment. Within this T&M market, the figure below represents the end markets and market drivers:
Automotive: Increase in electronic content; connectivity in cars; self-driving cars
Healthcare: Miniaturization of medical devices, connected health; testing of medical devices with simulated signals
Semiconductor: Semiconductor geometries are getting smaller in line with Moore's Law; investments by China to promote semiconductor manufacturing in China; big investment cycles with major mobile device releases
Aerospace & Defense: "New Space" - many companies are getting into commercial satellite launches; modernization of military/defense equipment
Industrial: Internet of Things
Wireless Devices, Providers: New wireless standards - 5G, growth in mobile devices (smart phones, tablets)
Wireless/Wire-line/Optical Network Test, Network Visibility: 5G; 100G/400G network refreshes; rise in network security threats
Accelerating Innovation. Simplifying Complexity.
Jabil understands the unique challenges confronting our T&M customers. Building on our manufacturing excellence over the last 50 years, we have developed an array of capabilities and solutions to address the specific business and product needs of the T&M industry. Our flexible approach streamlines the entire product lifecycle, empowering you to focus on what matters most to your business, with the peace of mind that Jabil has the rest covered.
To meet and take advantages of these challenges, Jabil offers:
- Ultra Low Volume High Mix Manufacturing Expertise: Almost 2/3rds of the manufacturing lot sizes are below 50 pieces. Jabil manages 4,000+ SKUs and supply chain management of 25,000+ unique part numbers.
- A Single Point of Accountability: Unique, secure workcell models with dedicated leads and production lines that protect the confidentiality of our customers.
- Intelligent, Digital Supply Chain Solutions: Ensuring our customers products are built in the right location, sourcing the right materials, and efficiently reaching end markets — all for the lowest landed cost.
- End-to-End Manufacturing Solutions: From New Product Introduction (NPI), PCBA, complete instrument manufacturing/test, direct fulfillment, and reverse logistics.
- Wire-Bonding, and Advanced RF Tuning: Considering that many instruments contain RF microwave circuits, Jabil has developed capabilities in wire-bonding and RF tuning of microwave circuits.
- Access to New Geographies: With Jabil’s broad footprint, our customers get access to new markets.
- Investment in Diverse Array of Capabilities: Jabil has invested in various capabilities such as Jabil AOC Technologies, Jabil Kuatro that can be leveraged by T&M customers, providing solutions in the Network Test and Network Visibility end markets.
- Jabil Blue Sky Center: Located at the heart of Silicon Valley, our customers can leverage the Blue Sky Center for advanced, collaborative ideation, and rapid prototyping.
- Dedicated Design Center: Jabil has recently acquired a talented group of individuals specialized in providing design services and reference designs specific to the T&M customers to accelerate time to market. Specific T&M design capabilities include:
- Integration of sensors into the instruments for Factory of the Future (Industry 4.0) application
- Component or sub-system end of life (EOL) re-engineering to extend product lifespan
- Mechanical instrument design
- Electrical design
- BIOS development
- Controller design
- Software communication protocol stack development between the front panel, instrument controller, and rear remote control interfaces (e.g. GPIB, USB)
- Rack and Stack Test Solutions (solutions partner status with premier largest T&M company)
Product Manufacturing Expertise
Over the last two decades, Jabil has progressed from manufacturing strictly PCBAs to offering complete instrument manufacturing and testing. Jabil has also partnered with our T&M customers to take part in their product development cycle, consistently providing Value Add Value Engineering (VAVE) inputs. Our product manufacturing expertise include:
- Single Analyzers
- Signal Sources
- Network Analyzers
- Spectrum Analyzers
- A/C, D/C Power Sources, and Analyzers
- Data Acquisition Modules
- PXI/PXIe Modules, and Chassis
- AXIe Instrument
- VXI Modules
- Function Generators
- Signal Generators
- Frequency Counters
- Network Test Instruments
- Network Visibility Instruments
- Cloud Test Equipment
- Network Performance Monitoring Instruments
- Network Taps, Bypass Switches
- Cloud Security Testers
- Network Security Testers
- Wireless Device Testers
- Wireless Communication Protocol Testers
- NEMO Wireless Testers
- Semiconductor Parametric Testers
- Semiconductor Automated Testers
Markets We Serve
Learn how our Instrumentation capability serves the Automotive Market
Learn more about our Healthcare solutions and capabilities
Learn how our Instrumentation Capability serves the Semiconductor Industry
Defense & Aerospace
Learn how our Instrumentation Capability serves the Defense & Aerospace Industry