Design for Automated Assembly
Experience and Expertise in Automated Assembly to Significantly Drive Down Costs
As worldwide competition to deliver products quickly to market increases, manufacturers look for ways to assemble products faster and more reliably. Advances in robotic technology such as smart learning, knowledge sharing, and miniaturization are enabling powerful new automated assembly capabilities to significantly improve speed-to-market. And since up to 85% of a product's cost is directly affected by its design and manufacturability, experience, and expertise in design for automated assembly is critically important beginning with the product-concept phase.
Benefits of Automated Assembly
Many assembly tasks have become very difficult for manual labor or require training that cannot be justified with shrinking margins. At the same time, many existing automated lines are aging, or have not been updated with capabilities that could significantly improve production. Jabil’s expert knowledge of manufacturing solutions, combined with industry-leading technology and innovations in design for automated assembly offer businesses increased benefits in quality, safety, security, and more:
- Faster, more reliable production
- 100% inspection criteria adherence
- Reduced human capital risks
- Lower costs and greater margins
- Improve product quality and consistency
- Reduce intellectual property risks
Design for Automated Assembly Concerns
While both humans and robots can assemble the products, their strengths and weaknesses are different. Even the most advanced assembly lines can produce parts and components that are not up to expectations. What separates design for automated assembly is that optimization for assembly is addressed in the product ideation phase, making choices in design and materials that make future production more efficient. Design for automated assembly optimizes products for the machines that build them.
- Workflow optimization
- Design simplification/optimization
- Component quality
- Parts storage
- Parts positioning and alignment
- Assembly techniques (handling, insertion, and fastening)
- Inspection, validation, and test
- Time vs. cost analysis
A Proactive Solutions Partner
Jabil offers end-to-end, comprehensive design and engineering capabilities with operations at over 90 sites in 23 countries. As a single point of accountability, we increase customer value while reducing risk by offering flexible solutions:
- Innovate and develop designs optimized for performance and manufacturability
- Rapidly prototype for accelerated product introductions
- Manufacture the highest-quality products and components using the latest automation and process technologies
- Stringently validate and test with proprietary, integrated methodologies
- Ensure that customers build in the right location, source the right materials, and reach target markets with intelligent, digital supply-chain solutions
Jabil Design for Automated Assembly Capabilities
Jabil engineers have the unique blend of skills required to effectively design products for automatic assembly. They work closely with manufacturing and automation engineers to ensure that the end product benefits from the best automation results stemming from the best design.
Jabil’s position as a global manufacturing solutions provider to the world’s leading brands and products offers customers a comprehensive package of end-to-end solutions. We specialize in design for manufacture optimization, helping customers increase market share and improve time-to-market. Partnering with Jabil offers customers a chance to overcome complex challenges with innovative solutions:
- Automate visual inspection stations
- Reduce the cost of automation while capitalizing investments over a longer useful life
- Reduce capital investments during the highest risk phases of projects
- Incorporate design for automated assembly best practices into your product design from start to finish
- Incrementally add automation as production ramps
- Start automation engineering before product design is locked
Jabil expertise in design for automatic assembly improves several automation applications:
- Presses and fixtures
- Robotics (axes of movement, grippers, resolution, repeatability, backlash)
- Dispensers and curing
- Feeders/tape and reel systems
- Nesting and conveyer systems
- Vision systems
Customers can also take advantage of Jabil’s advanced assembly technology. Jabil offers the Standard Integration Module (SIM) platform that uses interchangeable modules to automate basic-to-complex
FATP applications. These pre-engineered solutions greatly minimize risks, simplify integration, reduce lead times, and can be used inline or as standalone workstations. Our designers and engineers optimize the performance of manufacturing systems by identifying the best techniques and process controls for each customer to garner faster time to market and top-quality results.
JABIL SIM PLATFORM CAPABILITIES
- Redeployable - designed with common interfaces enabling rapid change-over of applications
- Platform supports a range of processes from semi-manual to fully-automated
- Platforms can be configured in any orientation ensuring optimal support of interrelated processes, production speeds, and quality.
- Quick-change feeder mounting.
- Full safety guarding (OSHA and ANSI compliant).
With Jabil’s design for automated assembly capabilities, customers are introduced to new levels of innovation and freedom of design. Most importantly, partnering with Jabil offers more than just the advanced technology to produce high quality, in-demand products. Our collaborative culture and expertise provides unique end-to-end solutions that elevate customer performance. Our culture of integrity, ingenuity, and inspiration make us a trusted manufacturing solutions provider for the world’s top products. By partnering with Jabil, customers can rest easy with the assurance that their best interests are being protected by an industry leader and their product will be of the highest quality possible.